Thursday, June 6, 2019

It's up and running! (Kinda...)


(Note: This post is still a "Work In Progress", and I will make changes and modifications to it as time permits.)

Monday, April 22, 2019: The "official" start-up day!

(work involved pre-startup to be inserted here)

After setting VTF, and making all of the last minute/minor adjustments, I asked my wife if she would like to make the first selection! The video of her selecting the first "official" play of the 1452 may be seen here:

https://youtu.be/pdc88mPsL5o

As may be seen in the video, everything seemed to work just fine, but sadly the turntable was too fast. Talk about conflicting emotions- the joy of seeing, and hearing, the 1452 make music after all these years, combined with the disappointment of the TT turning "too-fast". I may sound "matter of fact" and unemotional in the video, but truth be told I was riding an emotional roller coaster at this time, and I'm really surprised this doesn't come-out in the video.

However, the speed issue really bothered me, so immediately after this video I tore apart the TT assembly, and even though they measured almost identically to each other, I replaced the new/replacement Idler Wheel Assembly with the OEM unit (RO P/N 17148), thinking I may have received and installed the wrong Idler Wheel somehow.

Video from the second attempt is here:

https://youtu.be/sfhZSWreBLQ

As different idler wheels produced the same results, obviously the issue did not originate here.

So here's my brain talking to me right about this time:
  • "Then again, the TT runs off an asynchronous shaded pole motor, and the speed of those is always based on the incoming frequency, so that can't be the cause!" 
  • "I wonder if I have two bad idler wheels?"
  • "I wonder if I can still buy another wheel?" 
  • "I wonder if the Idler Tensioner Spring could be the cause of this?"
  • "Or as a test, I wonder if I could modify an old wheel to correct this speed issue?"
First things first. Early the next day I called Victory Glass and ordered up another Idler Wheel and Idler Tensioner Spring. After all, the "old timers" on the Jukebox forums swear they've fixed off-speed issues with a new spring. I had my doubts, but...

In the meantime I grabbed an old wheel I had lying around and chucked it into a drill, thinking I could sand and/or grind down the smaller    

No comments:

Post a Comment